Saturday, May 9, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

My mother taught me to love reading. She has been my biggest fan, even though at this point in her life, she has left behind the Lindsey's and Bertrice Small's she used to read for more spiritual fare, and wants me to move in the same direction. Which might be in my future if romance continues in the line it's been going. Another blog...

Mama was very young when I was born. That's the way things were in rural North Carolina in the mid-50's. Girls got married and started their families. Their young husbands worked hard in factories or on farms. All in all, it was a good life, but times changed. My mother, who only got her GED in her 50's, never questioned my drive to get a college education. She never questioned that I was capable of doing anything that I wanted to. Even when my dream was med school, I never heard "You can't do that." More importantly, when that dream gave way to others, she never criticized me for giving up.

My mother is not an educated woman, but she's probably one of the smartest people I know. There is nothing she could not have done with her life, so I'm even more grateful that she devoted that life to me and my sister and our father.

I sent her flowers for Mother's Day, but that's a teeny thing to do as thanks for such a gift as she has given me.

Thank you, Mama. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment